Friday, April 15, 2016

Show Up!

I've been reflecting a lot lately on relationships and what they mean to me.  For as long as I can remember I have been best friends with Veronica and Raquel.  There isn't a single moment in my life that I don't remember them being there.  We have traveled through this thing called life together for almost 30 years and I am a better person because of them.  From getting in trouble at Chapel to planning our "grown up" lives on the Q46 to venturing off in separate directions for college to marriage (and divorce) and children to careers and life beyond 35, we have been there for each other.  That is not to say that we haven't gotten on each other's nerves during the last 30 years, but somehow, we remain honest and true and move on laughing and giggling (and sometimes crying...ehem...Raquel) as if we were 7 years old again.

I recently came upon a post on Facebook that said something along the lines of "show up" when referring to friendships.  It basically stated that in order for a friendship to be successful (or any relationship for that matter), you had to "show up".  It got me thinking and I realized that it's one of the reasons why we have remained such good friends for so many years.  I don't think it is even a question in any of our minds whether or not we would show up for the other two.  We just do.  From birthdays to funerals, graduations, and births, we always find a way to "make-it-happen".  It doesn't just mean in person, it means "be there".  We have had countless moments where we have needed each other and may have not said anything, but the other two instinctively knew and would stop at nothing to be the support we needed or the shoulder to cry on.  It's never a second thought and that is what makes it so great.  





I truly believe that we were meant to be a part of each other's lives and I'm so grateful for these two amazing women.  The relationship I have with them is the kind of relationship that I'm sure all 3 of us want our children to look up to, to emulate, with the people they love.  It is so important to be able to have people that you can trust and tell anything.  Friends that can make light of situations and turn a frown into a smile.  Friends that make life worth living.  Friends who are family. Show Up!  
Fate made us friends, friendship made us Sisters!

<3 Ashlee 



1 comment:

  1. OMG.. What Raquel would say.. "wet lashes!" I'm crying at work! That was beautiful. I love you guys so much! Thanks Ashlee

    ReplyDelete